You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘pasta’ tag.
Hi there, this week has been hectic, so it is a quick post and a quick offering this week: Creamy Chicken Sauce which can be served on pasta, rice or baked potato.
Creamy Chicken Sauce
3 large chicken breasts, cut into small strips
1 onion, chopped
5 brown mushrooms, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
180ml chicken stock (warm)
375ml full-cream milk (warm)
250ml frozen peas, cooked
parsley to garnish
1. Fry chicken strips in 15 ml oil until golden and set aside.
2. Fry onions and red pepper in rest of the oil in the same pan for 2 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked.
4. Add flour, stir and cook for a minute.
5. Add the warm stock, stirring constantly. Stir in the milk.
6. Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently until the sauce is thick and cooked.
7. Add the cooked chicken and cooked peas and heat through.
8. Season and serve on rice / pasta / baked potato.
9. Garnish with parsley.
The beauty of this recipe is that the red pepper and mushrooms can be replaced with other vegies if the little darlings don’t like them! I struggle to get my children to eat mushrooms, so I’ve used courgette instead. Sweetcorn could be interesting to try too!
100g pasta of choice – shapes are fun!
oil for frying
1/2 onion, chopped
2 rashers of lean bacon, chopped
generous handful of frozen peas
1 clove garlic, crushed
70ml cream or cream cheese (low-fat)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook pasta according to packet instructions.
2. Heat a little oil in a frying pan and saute onion until translucent. Add the bacon, garlic and peas and saute for a further 5 minutes.
3. Once the bacon is cooked, add the cream (cream cheese). Reduce heat, season and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Toss the pasta in the bacon and pea sauce and serve.
I made this for my children this weekend – who’ve suddenly decided that they don’t like tomato – and they loved it!
Macaroni and Cheese Cupcakes
225g elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, plus a little more for garnish
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with cup cake liners.
3. Cook the macaroni to the instructions on the packet. Drain and immediately return to pot.
4. Add cheese and stir briefly until almost melting.
5. Beat eggs into milk, and then pour mixture into macaroni cheese mixture. Mix well.
6. Ladle macaroni mixture into muffins tins, and bake for 20 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.