You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘vegetables’ tag.
Apologies I’ve been so quiet for a while – work has been hectic! But here is this week’s offering, courtesy of my friend Tess and Taste.com.
Some kids might have an issue with ‘the green stuff’ in the fingers, but it is healthy, sounds very tasty and will work for lunchboxes and my baby of 10 months!
Makes: 12 fingers
Melted butter, to grease
2 tsp light olive oil
80g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) grated green courgette
60g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) grated carrot
50g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) grated parsnip or potato or sweet potato
2 shallots, finely chopped
3 eggs, lightly whisked
40g (1/3 cup) coarsely grated cheddar or tasty cheese
2 T finely chopped fresh parsley
1 T plain flour, sifted
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a shallow, square 18.5cm cake pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base and 2 opposite sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing it to overhang.
2. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the grated courgette, carrot, parsnip and shallots, and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until the vegetables soften. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
3. Combine vegetable mixture, egg, cheese, parsley and flour in a large bowl and stir until well combined.
4. Spoon vegetable mixture into prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake in oven for 12 minutes or until set.
5. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Lift frittata from pan and place on a plate to cool completely. Cut into 12 fingers to serve.
Courgette and carrots can be substituted with potato and sweet potato too.
This recipe is great because it uses store cupboard ingredients and my children love tuna! I’m planning to try substituting tinned salmon for the tuna too.
Serves 4 (still to be tested though)!
1 cup rice
2 tbsp plain flour
1.5 cups milk
medium tin of tuna in springwater
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup mixed frozen vegetables
small tin of creamed corn
pinch black pepper
pinch cayenne pepper
1. Boil the rice in a large pot of water.
2. Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour to butter and stir for 2 mins, being careful not to burn.
3. Gradually add the milk. Stir white sauce until the mixture starts to thicken. Add the grated cheese.
4. Add the drained tuna. Add the creamed corn.
5. Season to taste with peppers.
6. Add frozen veggies to almost cooked rice. Cook for a few minutes until done and rinse rice and veggies under cold water.
7. Pour rice and veggies into casserole dish.
8. Pour tuna mix over rice and veggies. Sprinkle with grated cheese and grill if desired to lightly brown.